Monday, January 05, 2009

Inspiration while on Vacation

Over the Christmas break, Math Boy and I stayed in an awesome hotel in San Francisco's Japantown called Hotel Tomo. I first heard about this hotel through Tokyo Bunnie's blog, and I was sure I needed to go there. I didn't get to take a pic of the entire room (above is a pic from their website.) But that is what the rooms look like, so modern and quirky with a Japanese pop art mural in each room. Everything about this hotel was fun and fresh.

This was the mural in our room. LOVE!
This was the hotel info booklet they had in the rooms. Check out their logo!
The interiors: ooh! Illustrations! Yay!

And look- these are suppose to be the "do not disturb" signs:

There were alot of fun little details in this place that was great eye candy for me. It was a good balance of quirkiness and playfulness without feeling childish. I love places like this. I want to go back already!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the mural that was in your room... it was definitely Japanese pop art , but it looks inspired by native american art with the drawing of the tubes from the mouth to tummy.

Edrian said...

The door hangers are great! I need one of those!
Sounds like you had a fantastic time!
Happy New Year!

Eugenia Gina said...

Wow, they really have a great concept for the Hotel, I really like it :D cool Hotel!

PaMdora said...

Hey, my folks stayed there last fall, so I've definately been wanting to check this place out next time I'm in SF (love japantown so would be very convenient.)

They don't take as good of photos as you though, so thanks for the detailed post! Looks like fun.

tokyobunnie said...

Isn't it amazing!? Hei (PCP), the artist who did all the art for the hotel, told me that he is also doing a mall in Los Angeles the same way, I think it opens this year!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a cool place! I didn't even know about that hotel! Next time I'm in the City, I'll hafta check it out, ... act as if I'm interested in staying there and check out a room. Who knows! Maybe I WILL end up staying there on of these days.

Becky said...

Wow, those door hangers are the best! Fun inspiration :)