Sunday, January 17, 2010

Breaking into Freelance Illustration

Lately I've been getting quite a few emails asking for advice on becoming an illustrator. Sometimes I'm quite surprised (and flattered) that people want to ask ME for advice, when I'm still learning and finding my way everyday. However, I've realized that I've been doing this professionally and full time now for about 4 years. I've learned a thing or two along the way and would love to pass it along.

Thanks to Holly DeWolf, I got to contribute to her book, Breaking into Freelance Illustration. She sent me a comp copy back in December- with the holidays and traveling I didn't get a chance to blog about it here. It is a great read for people starting out and even professionals who sometimes need a reminder on a few things. Alot of familar names and blog friends are in it, be sure to check it out if you are interested in becoming a freelance illustrator.

I'm thinking of writing more posts on topics like this, such as what I've learned so far as an illustrator, and my journey of getting there. I feel like I need to pay it forward, as when I was starting out, I looked to bloggers like Keri Smith and Danny Gregory for encouragement and inspiration. So stay tuned.

**OTHER AWESOME NEWS** I'm so excited- I'm going to Japan in May! Just booked flights there for a vacation AND it will be the same week as DesignFesta- which I did purposely so I can attend that as well. It will be a heavy dose of creative inspiration...hope I don't OD! :-)

10 comments:

Alicia Padrón said...

oh wow Japan!! That's awesome Jannie! I'm sure you'll have so much fun there and come back super inspired. :o)

Unknown said...

I'm waiting for your contribution on freelance subject, must be interesting!

Oh! you are going to Japan. There's a lot of beautiful designs and great museums over there. I so envy you but good luck with your vacation :-D

ts said...

I would love to hear more about how to launch into selling work/licensing work for other companies...I am just starting to create more textile work and would love to learn how to reach more people.

Madame Colonelle said...

oh so wonderful! I dreaming about trip to Japan so...
and about main topic: freelance sucks :P
sometimes I'm thinking about taking full time job and finally work 8 hour instead of 12(or even more:)
finish work everyday at 5-6 P.M and spend rest of the day on other things
but from the other hand my work is my love/life i really can't give up that :)

Madame Colonelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julissa Mora said...

That book is great...still reading it. :)

BTW, you've been a great inspiration to me! I have lots to learn about this business but thanks to people like you and many others for being so kind and helpful. :)

Japan! I'm jealous :P Have fun and take lots of pictures :)

erika said...

You are the greatest and your illustrations are wonderful! Of course you are getting emails, thanks for paying it forward. I can't wait to check out that book and hear whatever else you have to share on the subject.

Unknown said...

hey..sounds like a great idea to post some advice or tips to inspire us..
I will consider buying the book..
and will be looking forward to read what you have to say about your experience!

and have fun in Japan :)

Alissa Staples said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing your tips on getting started. Your artwork and website has been a huge inspiration for me.

I'm second-gen Japanese so I have no doubt that you will enjoy your vacation in May. Looking forward to hearing about that, too!

gaia said...

I just got that book and am really enjoying going through it. Can't wait for more tips from you!