Thursday, October 28, 2010

Evolution of a Halloween Book Cover

It is fun to show the process of a cover-from sketches to the end product. I did this with The Great Matzoh Hunt, and now I thought I would show it for Halloween is Here, a sticker book I illustrated that was recently released.

1st Sketch: All 4 of the main characters were featured. It is a bit too crowded for the cover.

Revised Sketch

Color Art

With Type and at the stores! (took this pic at Borders)

Hope you'll get a chance to pick Halloween is Here up at your local bookstores. Happy Halloween!

11 comments:

anne said...

really cute, Jannie ~ the palette, the characters & the composition all scream "Halloween fun!"
Thanks for sharing this process.

sassypackrat said...

So fun to see your process!

Anonymous said...

Its lovely, Jannie. Congratulations!!! :)

Cassandra said...

really great! I love seeing the sketches and then the end product! I love how colourful and happy it is!

Tamara Henderson said...

Thanks for sharing your process! The cover turned out wonderful!

lil kim said...

Thanks for showing your sketches Jannie! I always think the cover is the more difficult to get right (and to please everyone) -- I think I did about 12 sketches for my recent book!

Walter Silva said...

Jannie, you are the bomb! Love this:)

Xavier Salomó said...

Ilove it... these days I read Ghoul bus! Do you remember? It's really good!

Kelly Medina said...

It is definitely very cool to see your process. Great work - it turned out awesome!

Tracy said...

Oh, Jannie! Another adorable book! Can't wait to get this one :) I love seeing the process from sketch to finished product. How long did it take you (approximately of course) to color and shade the final piece in? Just curious because all of your pieces are wonderful. Look forward to getting some more of your books! (My kiddos love your ABC puzzle I just got this year.)

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

Tracy-Hard to say, but perhaps two working days? If I concentrate hard enough (not being distracted by other shiny things on the internet) I can do it quicker. It really depends. And thank you for the getting the abc floor puzzle- I never got a sample, so I hope it turned out good :-)